Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Dry Aged Prime Rib Roast

I've been a big fan of prime rib for years, and it's been our Christmas day meal for probably 10+ years now. I've done more experimenting in the past 2 years because the roasts have gotten as low as $2.98 a pound, and that's cheap! My traditional method has held firm, and that's covering with thyme, salt and strips of Farmland Cider House Bacon (thanks again Bill!).

I've learned a coupla things and will stick with that recipe, it's plain and simple, but the addition of rosemary and garlic is not a bad idea.

Another thing I'll always do is warm my meat up (snicker) before cooking. Never go from fridge to oven immediately, the lower and slower it can cook the better. I now take my prime rib out in the morning, maybe even the night before and let it get to room temperature.

I've not made up my mind if Select or Choice from the stores makes a difference, I'm a bit tainted cause a pricey piece from McGonigles in KC was a big disappointment, but that was years ago and not having the experience I do now, I think I overcooked it. I've gotten them from all over and have had good and bad, no rhyme or reason except that the more patient I am with cooking, the better it has seemed to be.

Another must is putting your plates in the oven and getting them warmed up. A medium rare prime rib won't have a lot of heat, and a cold plate will kill it. This also has another benefit, it finishes the cooking. I pull my roast when internally the probe says a mere 125 degrees, watching it like a hawk when it hits 115. Yup, check the Internet, that's classified as rare. Temperature will increase as it sits, and you MUST let it sit, at least 20 minutes. When you cut it, you may think it's not done cause of the color, but in my humble opinion, this is the best way. For someone who likes their steaks well done, order a pizza. This isn't for them.

This year, attempt #2 on dry aging. My buddy Brett prompted me to try this last February, and it was a success. Tender and tasty. Last Sunday I bought a Choice piece of meat, covered it in cheesecloth and plopped it in the fridge. Really that's all there is to it. You will want to cut off some of the fat and pieces that turn brown or funky on you, then proceed as normal, but it's as simple as letting it sit, changing the cloth a time or two. This will only be a 5 day age, in the future I will try a 14 day and see how it works. Day three seen below:


3 comments:

Unknown said...

yumm!
Wish I was in NV for xmas!

Anonymous said...

Really? Euw! What does this do exactly? Make it more tender?

We'll be having our prime rib tomorrow as well. I'm sure it won't be as good as yours, but I try.

Smooches!

liteluvr said...

I do mine this way as well. This year, I carved off the middle of a 14 pound rib roast (choice grade), let it dry age in the fridge for 6 days before cooking.
Set the oven at 220, rubbed it down with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary, and popped it in. Checked the temp every 30 minutes or so until it hit 120. Pulled it, tented it in foil and let it rest for the time it took me to cook up the mashed potatos and make a pan gravy w the drippings and some beef stock.
Undoubtedly the BEST way to eat a ribeye. You don't really appreciate what the dry aging does for it until you try it.
Glad I found your post!