Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thanksgiving's coming!

This year will be Thanksgiving #2 here in Reno/Sparks, and I'm looking forward to it! Last year I deep fried a turkey, my 2nd attempt I believe, and was so miffed about it I didn't blog. I overcooked it for one thing, but just overall it wasn't all that dang tasty like everyone raves about. Chicken on the other hand seem to be better, more juicy and tasty. Maybe it's the size of the bird, I think both times I had a 20lb plus creature.

This year I'm going back to traditional, brining it and doing it in the oven. The spread should include the standards and a few family items. Turkey, taters, cranberry sauce (I'm going non-canned this year), creamed sweet corn (PA Dutch style), dare I try home made buns?, gravy of course, and Tracy will make a pumpkin and probably another pie. Fun fun!

For the first time since we moved here and almost two years since we've seen them, my dad and step are coming to town. It'll be nice to see them, but I'm not exactly sure what to do with them while they're here.

Maybe we'll break out Twister....

1 comment:

liteluvr said...

A little late on the reply here, but as for the turkey, here's what I do.
Day 1. Brine the bird for at least 24 hours. Use any brine recipe, but if you include some brown sugar in the brine, that's just icing on the cake.

Day 2. Find a marinade recipe you like. I have one I like a lot called "Dave's", but you can also use a combination of soy sauce, celery juice and onion juice, along the lines of about 1/2 cup each. If you have a juicer, it's just falling down easy.
Marinade the bird for 24 hours overnight.
Day 3. Heat up the oil (peanut if you can swing it, but since you're only going to 375, regular canola works equally well. Remove the bird from the marinade and gently pat dry with some paper towels. Just so the bird isn't dripping when it hits the oil. Once the oil is to temp, slowly lower the bird and cook 3.5 minutes per pound. The oil temp will drop pretty hard when the bird goes in, so diddle with the controls to get it back to 350 and hold it there for the duration.

I've done several like this, and every one has turned out juicy, tender and good enough to make a puppy pull a freight train.